1) Collier-Lee Honor Flight is a 100% volunteer organization operating as a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. We receive many phone calls and emails each week. We will acknowledge receipt of your application via email within 2 weeks. This acknowledgement does not mean you have been selected for a flight. If selected you will receive another email indicating your selection as a guardian with the flight date. Please be aware that we will likely receive more Guardian applications than we have positions available for any given flight.
2) The #1 priority of each trip is the safety of our veterans and all those associated with the Honor Flight. Guardians are an important part of our flights and are selected based on the following criteria: Minimum age 16. There is no maximum age, however all Guardians must be good physical condition in order to care for their Veteran over a long and strenuous day. You must be able to lift 100 lbs. Priority is given to those who are medically trained, active or retired military, guardians who have previously flown, and eligible family members. The spouse of a veteran may not accompany the veteran, unless they are also participating as a veteran on the Honor Flight. There will be no alcohol or smoking during the Honor Flight.
3) Guardian Training – Every person who is selected as a guardian must attend a guardian training session before the flight. If you live out of state, we will assist you in making plans to attend a guardian training session in your home state. If you cannot attend a guardian training session, another guardian will be called to take your place.
4) Collier-Lee Honor Flight will typically have one mission in the Spring and two in the Fall. During each of the flights, an additional event, "Honor at Home" is held at RSW airport to honor those Veterans who are unable to fly for medical reasons. If you are a seasonal resident we will make every effort to work around your time in Southwest Florida.
5) There is a $500 non-refundable guardian donation to be paid after your selection and assignment to a Mission. Please consult your tax expert to determine if this is tax-deductible. (If you are applying to assist a Veteran at the "Honor at Home" event only, a $50 donation is requested.) If you choose to donate via credit card, please add an additional $15 for processing. This donation must be paid before the guardian training session. If not paid on time, another guardian will be called to take your place.
6) We use our website www.collierhonorflight.org and Facebook “Collier-Lee Honor Flight” to communicate with the public. Please see these sites for general updates and information before contacting us. Please add the following email to your address book , [email protected], as we send group messages after your selection as a guardian.